27 February 2017, Monday

Yelizaveta Aliyeva, sister of Marem Aliyeva, who disappeared in 2015, has sent an application to the ECHR. She states that Marem disappeared without trace on September 19, 2015, following an argument with her husband, Mukharbek Yevloyev, who had repeatedly beaten her. The application states that the investigation into Marem’s disappearance is not being conducted effectively and the state authorities took no measures to prevent the violence committed against her.

A criminal case for murder was opened two weeks after Yelizaveta declared her sister’s disappearance to the authorities. A decision recognising Yelizaveta as the plaintiff in the case was issued nearly two months later. She has still not been able to see the results of forensic reports. The investigators say that there are no suspects in the case. Yelizaveta affirms that she has received numerous threats from Marem’s husband and his relatives, who demand that she withdraw her complaint from the police.

In October 2015, a grenade exploded in the yard of Yelizaveta’s home in Ingushetia, but no investigation was made into this incident. Yelizaveta has asked several times for the authorities to take protection measures in her favour, but these measures were ineffective, failed to protect her from threats, and she ended up having to leave Ingushetia. 

“All of the domestic violence complaints filed by Marem and Yelizaveta Aliyeva were ignored by the police, who took no action to press criminal charges against Mukharbek Yevloyev”, said Olga Gnezdilova, lawyer at Justice Initiative. “Marem often ran away from home, but the relatives always brought her back. In the summer of 2015, Marem ran away from home with her three children and reached crisis centres for women first in Moscow and then in Minsk, but in August, her husband took her and the children back home. The law enforcement officials’ inaction led to a situation where after another argument on September 19, Marem called her sister and said that her husband was threatening to ‘pay her back for her latest attempt to flee and for going to the police’. Half-an-hour after this conversation, Marem’s phone was already switched off. Yelizaveta went to her home and saw that her three children were sitting on a couch in the yard and crying, saying that they had seen their mother’s bloodied hair. Yelizaveta immediately went to the police to declare a crime, but when the Sunzhensky District police investigators arrived at the scene, they questioned only possible suspect Mukharbek Yevloyev and did not inspect the house. After this, the investigators concluded that there was no evidence that Yevloyev had used violence against Marem”, she said.    

In February 2017, the Magas District Court in Ingushetia ruled on the separate case of the abduction of Yelizaveta Aliyeva by Marem’s husband, Mukharbek Yevloyev. In this case, Yevloyev was sentenced to 6 years in a high security prison colony and a fine of 80,000 roubles, and his nephew Murad Paragulgov was sentenced to 5 years in a high security prison colony and a fine of 50,000 roubles, but the sentence has not taken lawful effect yet.

Lawyers from Justice Initiative sent on behalf of Yelizaveta Aliyeva an application to the ECHR, citing violation of articles 2, 3 and 14 of the European Convention on Human Rights.

<<< All News