Russian Justice Initiative (RJI) and Legal Assistance Organization “Astreya” conduct strategic litigation before the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) on behalf of victims of human rights abuses in the North and South Caucasus. By mid-2014 the organization had won over 150 cases at the ECtHR concerning violations in Chechnya and Ingushetia, and was representing over 2000 clients in more than 250 cases pending before the ECtHR from Chechnya, Ingushetia, Kabardino-Balkaria, Dagestan, as well as over 35 cases pending from Georgia and South Ossetia. RJI also conducts litigation and advocacy activities in connection with Russia’s implementation of judgments from the North Caucasus.
The post of Legal Director is full-time and based in Moscow. He/she reports to the Executive Director and is responsible for the day-to-day management of the organization’s legal work, including supervision of a team of lawyers, and also works closely with the Executive Director to guide the organization’s longer-term litigation priorities. The Legal Director travels to the North Caucasus at least 3-4 times per year or as needed.
The main responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
Close supervision and management of the organization’s staff and field lawyers, including reviewing and revising submissions to the ECtHR and to the domestic authorities;
Researching relevant ECtHR case-law and other legal topics as necessary;
Providing legal support to field lawyers and assistance with sourcing of cases from the North Caucasus;
As needed, management of an independent caseload which includes all stages of ECtHR submission (meeting with applicants; building a case file of evidence such as testimonies, witness statements, medical documents, etc.; exhaustion of domestic remedies; drafting applications to the ECtHR);
Coordinating with external consultants and/or independent field lawyers who provide assistance with legal drafting and reviewing of applications;
As needed, overseeing and planning, together with the Executive Director, RJI’s work on implementation of judgments;
Planning, together with the Executive Director, legal training seminars for staff lawyers and/or outside training opportunities;
Representing RJI at outside conferences and seminars, as needed;
Supervising and recruiting legal interns.
- Law degree or other advanced degree in another discipline with equivalent experience;
- Knowledge of human rights jurisprudence, particularly the case-law of the European Court of Human Rights, including the Court’s case-law on the North Caucasus;
- Knowledge of the human rights situation in the North Caucasus as a whole, as well as knowledge of the human rights situation in Georgia and South Ossetia since the most recent conflict;
- Ability to think analytically and creatively;
- Excellent command of written and spoken English and Russian at professional working levels;
- Highly ethical and responsible, task-oriented and able to organize work in accordance with deadlines, self-motivated; able to patiently and effectively communicate with colleagues from diverse cultural backgrounds;
- At least one year of experience in a management position in a comparable non-profit is highly desirable.
Salary and benefits:
RJI provides a competitive salary and benefits package, as well as opportunities for travel and professional development.
How to apply:
Application deadline: 15 November 2014.
Interested candidates should submit an application consisting of the following:
- a cover letter in English;
- a CV in English;
- two unedited writing samples: one in English and one in Russian;
- contact details of two professional or academic references.
Applications can be submitted by e-mail to email@example.com or by fax to +7 (495) 915 0829. Applications should be marked “Legal Director.”
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.